supports legislation requiring accountability and transparency in elections. Although there are several bills presently pending in Congress proposing to address this, and none of them does everything we hope for, VR believes that a bill introduced by Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ)
, The Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act (H.R. 550), (complete text of the bill in PDF format here
, more info available here
) is currently the most comprehensive on this subject and has the best chance of passage. If it does pass, it will begin to fix multiple fundamental problems with our voting systems in time for the 2006 election cycle. Moreover, it currently has over 150 co-sponsors and several of them are even Republicans! This bill is a good starting point and if we pass it now, we will be on a much stronger footing to continue our fight for truly verifiable and transparent elections in the world's most important democracy.
We want Congress to hear what you have to say about this issue and this bill, and therefore, we have made it simple to fill in the form below to quickly send your personal message to both of your Senators and your House Representative. We'll even look them up based on your address, and send them to all the right ones! The Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act (H.R. 550) should be taken up by the House and passed into law this year
; signing this petition will submit the message beneath the form below plus your own personal comments. Even if you don't think your particular representatives would agree with your position, it is important for them to hear from you so they will know that people such as yourself are concerned about this issue. As we have seen from the recent tragedy along the Gulf coast, who is elected is really a matter of life and death. Citizens must be able to see proof of their votes, and be able to verify that they are accurately counted.
Support Voter Reform
I am deeply concerned about the need for transparent, independently auditable, non-privatized, non-vendor-controlled elections and urge you to support legislation that:
(1) establishes a requirement for a voter verified paper ballot created for every vote cast;
(2) establishes a mandatory uniform national standard that states that the voter verified paper ballot -- the only record verified by the voter rather than the voting machine -- is the vote of record in the case of any inconsistency with electronic records;
(3) provides Federal funding to pay for implementation of voter verified paper balloting;
(4) requires a percentage of mandatory random audits in every state, and in each county, for every Federal election;
(5) prohibits use of undisclosed software, wireless communication devices, and internet connections in voting machines;
(6) is required to be fully implemented by 2006; and
(7) protects the accessibility mandates of the Help America Vote Act.
Ensuring full access to the electoral system does not require turning complete control of the vote count over to privately-owned, privately-controlled voting machine vendors.
A bill introduced by Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), The Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act (H.R. 550) meets all of the above requirements and has strong bipartisan support. Please show your commitment to transparent, independently auditable, non-privatized, non-vendor-controlled elections today by co-sponsoring HR 550 and ensuring that it becomes law this year.